6.27.2010

R&Q Update - 3 weeks old


Where did the last 3 weeks go??? They have just sped by. If the next 18 years go by this quickly, I am going to be so sad!

Ryan @ 2 1/2 weeks.


Anyway, we are all doing well around here. This past week, Matt's mom Barbara came to stay with us for a few days. It was great having her here and I know Ryan enjoyed spending time with his grandma. It also turned out to be a really good week to have someone to watch the little man, as we had several appointments we had to take care of for Quinn.


Quinn @ 3 weeks - this picture makes me smile :)


First up was Car Seat Education to make sure we knew how to get Quinn in and out of the car seat and to ensure it was safe enough for her. Unfortunately, it looks like we may need to purchase a new car seat -- the minimum on our car seat is 5lbs and little princess hasn't quite reached that mark yet. Plus, the straps on ours are not adjustable enough to fit her small little shoulders. I could tell the woman doing our education felt terrible for asking us to buy a new one, but if that's what we need to do -- what choice do we have? We'll try again this week to fit her in the seat and see if she has grown enough to make our existing one work. Then she'll have to pass a car seat test, which is basically a stress test for all babies born under 36 weeks. They make the baby stay in the car seat for an hour and a half and place them on heart rate monitors to make sure they continue to breathe okay.




Next up was Infant CPR... we had wanted to take some sort of class before the babies were born but just kind of kept putting it off. Now it's a requirement for us to pass before we can bring Quinn home. Anyway, it was a fast and furious tutorial session and hopefully we will remember some of it in case we ever need it. I was really emotional in the class just thinking about actually having to use any of the skills on our children. Talk about a reality check.




Then of course, I had my own doctor's appt to check out my c-section incision and make sure all was healing correctly. Honestly, I am just so surprised by how much this surgery has actually hurt. It's not debilitating pain, but I am definitely aware of it. I thought I had a pretty high pain tolerance after all the surgeries and procedures I've undergone, but this was a whole new level. Anyway, all is fine in that department, thank goodness. Cannot wait until the 6 week appt when I am actually cleared to do some exercise (assuming I have the energy) and other fun things (wink, wink - and assuming I have the energy. ha)




Ryan is really thriving and is such a great little baby. He's up to taking almost 3oz every feeding and is acquiring a couple of new chins :) So precious. I love our little man so much and look forward every morning to kissing his sweet little face.




Quinn is really growing now that they are letting her eat however much she wants. She is also up to about 3 oz every feeding and our doctors are amazed that she can fit all of that food in such a tiny little body! (I'm not that surprised - she is my child after all!) She is up to about 4lbs 12oz and is starting to really fill out. I may be biased, but I think she is gorgeous. Most importantly, she has not had an apnic episode since this past Wednesday! Yay! This means we can start planning our homecoming. The doctors are gearing for a mid-week release I believe, assuming she behaves herself. By then, little girl should be above 5lbs :)




I will be so immensely grateful when we can break her out of that place. I am so ready to have my family under one roof. This past week has been really difficult --- I've consciously tried to keep a positive attitude, knowing that was best for Ryan and our life at home. But this is starting to wear on me. I miss my little girl. I don't want to have to leave her every day.



Before the kiddos were born, I thought I had prepared myself adequately for the potential of a NICU stay. But I never dreamed it would go on this long. Next Thursday will mark the babies' one month birthday. My hope and prayer is that we can take her home before then. I just want my family together. I want Ryan to start interacting with his sister. I want to have 2 babies in my arms.



Yet, having said all of that and my somewhat selfish wants and desires -- I know she has been in the best place to get her healthy and ready to come home. I am so thankful for the team of people who have been caring for her so she can grow. I know they have her best interests at heart.



And prayers are being answered. Last week, I asked for prayers that her levels would stabilize so we could put off her open heart surgery for as long as possible. Well, I spoke to the cardiologist on Thursday and her levels have not made anymore downward drops. He feels that where she is now (in the mid to high 80's pulse ox) is probably where she will stay for a few months. And he is more than comfortable letting her hang out there. She's not struggling to breathe or turning a bluish color (signs that would point to more immediate surgical intervention), so he's very pleased. God is good! Please pray that they will remain stabilized until we can get her little body stronger for surgery.



Thank you all for your continued support and prayers. We are so grateful. The outpouring of love we've received around here as been nothing short of incredible. I think out of the 3 weeks we have been home, we have only cooked dinner twice. The rest of the meals have been provided by our awesome church family and great friends. Wow! Truly blessed.



Will you join me in praying that Quinn comes home next week if it's in her best interest? Momma has an ADORABLE 4th of July onesie & tutu waiting for her :)



post signature





No comments: