11.01.2011

Halloween 2011 - The Year of the "Free" Costumes

All I can say is that my procrastination and/or lack of time to actually think, much less purchase, Halloween costumes completely paid off this year. I had big plans a few months ago for the twins to have some sort of coordinating costumes but obviously the setbacks of the past month changed those thoughts. Then I thought about just re-using the costumes from last year as they were pretty big back then and I figured they would work (a flower for Quinn & bumblebee for Ryan), but then remembered they were up in the attic amongst what must be 20 boxes of clothes for the twins. I didn't have the heart to ask my exhausted hubby to make the trek up there to search for said costumes and I certainly wasn't going to risk my life trying to climb the stairs and navigate the plywood and insulation.

So I had pretty much resigned myself to no Halloween costumes this year - and was ok with it. I mean, it's not like they were actually going to remember it so it was more for our entertainment than theirs. But Saturday after returning for the umpteenth time from the hospital, I had a moment to run over to a local shopping center so I could pick up my rush-order contacts since my eyes were getting dangerously close to coming down with some nasty bacteria after wearing the same pair for what has to be the last 2 months. Of course, they were closed so I had a few moments to kill and saw Children's Place in the same shopping center.

With the impending cold weather (whoa, hello 60s and 70s! ha.), I figured the kids needed some winter (loosely defined in Houston) basics, so I headed over there. They had literally 5 Halloween costumes on the shelves, and one was the perfect size for Quinn - a little puffy Watermelon. Not exactly what I had in mind but it was pretty darned cute. Then they had this monster/dragon/TBD thing for a little boy but it was 6-12 months. BUT IT WAS $2.99. Plus I had a 25% off coupon. I'm not good at math, but in my mind that adds up to FREE.

For a virtually FREE costume, I figured we would just take the chance that the monster/dragon/not sure what it was costume could be a little short on Ryno. Sure enough, the hood was a little small for my boy with the 95th percentile head and the legs were just a tad short - but overall it worked. The first night we put him in it, he was so tickled with himself. See video below:



So last night after the kids woke up from their nap and had a snack, we decided it was costume time. Quinn immediately looked a little ticked about hers (it was PUFFY, y'all!) but then got into the spirit and managed a few grins. Once we put her shoes on, she was all about it. Ryan ran around like a nut with his tail swinging all about and screaming stuff we couldn't understand. In my mind, they were happy exclamations, not screams of "what the heck are you making me wear???"

Matt and I just about died of laughter --- it was so fun to see them all dressed up and made the $5 I spent worth every cent and more. And I was just so darned grateful to have both kids at home to dress up. Typically we would have headed out to our church's annual Trunk 'n Treat event, but given Quinn's isolation for the next 5 weeks at least, that wasn't so much an option. I previously had thought about bringing just Ryan up there but once I saw how tickled they were to be back together, that just didn't make sense. So we loaded both of them up in our wagon and headed out in the gorgeous weather just to walk the streets. Once outside, we met up with our neighbors and plopped their daughter into the middle of the wagon so she could enjoy the fun. The three of them rode so well together almost the entire time and even in that brief 30 minutes, my night was made and our hearts were full.

Here are just a few little pics from my phone (have I mentioned how much I love having an i-phone now? I was so anti i-phone because I did not need one more piece of technology to be addicted to, but now I LOVE it. It's been great to be able to share pictures back and forth while Matt & I were separated at the hospital and also have facetime with our families. Too fun). Anyway, I have better pictures on our "real" camera, but I'm too lazy to go look for the cord. So, this is what we get for now:


I am thinking about just letting her run around in the watermelon while she recovers. It's "poofiness" serves as a great chest protector,

Yup, a little short. Perhaps a little trashy but it's all good.

Next year, you guys will actually be allowed to get some candy :)

Happy "Free" Halloween - hope you all had a wonderful one! For a day that can be filled with darkness and evil, there was a lot of light over  at the Clanahan's :)


post signature


No comments: