9.12.2011

8 Years, Really?

To My Mississippi,

Yes, it's been EIGHT years. Eight years since Matt and I said "I do". It's actually a little hard to believe. In so many ways, it has literally just flown by. Yet, I still remember so many of the small details of our "courtship" (yes, I am still Southern to the core). It has been such a ride - many of the details which I have shared on this blog for the past few years. With that being said, and in an effort to not be incredibly sappy, here are my top 10 reasons why I am so in love with my husband:

1. He is hands-down the BEST father ever. I know there are so many great dads out there - but I can't imagine another father for my children. When we first met, I just knew that he would be that kind of dad, but he has blown me away by his love, patience, kindess, gentleness, and just complete unselfishness with them.  He comes home from work, immediately goes and changes his clothes, and hangs with the kids the rest of the night. Blessed.

2. He loves unconditionally. Whether I am clad in a cocktail dress and actually have make up on (so rare) OR more often, in my same shorts and tshirt that he left me sleeping in, he loves me and thinks I am beautiful. And tells me so. Anyone who can think frizzy hair, a 2 days old ponytail, the same ole burnt orange baseball cap, and 3 year old robe is beautiful is beyond me --- but I am, oh so thankful.

3. He buys me new Soffe shorts (the kind we all wore when we were "sorority girls") - mine were about 8 years old - yes, they survived the hurricane - and were worn to pieces. He knows my love for them and so he came home one day a couple of weeks ago with a big bag of new Soffe shorts. They need about 100 washes to get to the comfy stage but how sweet it was.

4. He thinks anything (well, mostly anything) I cook is just about the best thing ever. I totally lucked out in this department. While I like to cook and love the process, I am not gourmet by any means. But whether it's taco night or an attempt at a new recipe, he thinks it's just about the best thing ever --- and then he raves about the leftovers the next day. I could give him cereal and he would say it was awesome.

5. He is so quick to want to end a disagreement --- so quick to say "I'm sorry". I am less so. It takes me awhile to let go of my pride, but for Matt... well, he just is able to say "I love you, and I was wrong" (ha!). Love that. I need to take lessons because the fact is, most of the time I am in the wrong.

6. This really should be number one, but he has put up with me for EIGHT  years. I am not easy. I am not always affable, lovable, agreeable, or sweet as much as I would like to be. I often have deep emotions that either lead to moments of long silence or just plain being ugly without reason. I am not proud of it, but being honest. Yet, he loves me throughout. I don't know how, but he does. Thank God.

7. He teaches me new things everyday. Whether it's something about work, or something about me - I learn something new every day. And everyday, I learn something new about him. After so long of being together, you would think we would know almost everything, but we don't. I love that.

8. Going back to parenting --- he has bathed the children about 90% of the time since they've been born. If he's home and available, he is cleaning, bathing, lotioning, soothing, playing, loving so that I can have a break. If that's not love for your family, I don't know what is.

9. He is such a man of God. He loves Him powerfully - and shares his faith openly and honestly. And beyond speech, he lives out His Word. So often, he will leave me with little devotions in the morning that spoke to him and so often, they are just what I needed to hear. I am so grateful for his spiritual leadership in our household.

10. He has held my hand through so much. Through Katrina, the death of my father, infertility battles, the blessing of twins (and challenges of two toddlers!),  and now the "special" heart of our daughter --- he has been there with his full support the entire time. I can't thank him enough for his love, his special notes (emails : ) ), phone calls during the day to check up, little love letters, and everything else he has done to support our marriage and family. There isn't a day that goes by that I question his love for us or for our children. He would do anything, anything to make sure we never were in pain, never wanted for anything, or never suffered. He can't protect us from all of that, but he sure does try. He goes above and beyond every single day to be the best husband, father, provider, lover, and best friend.

Matty, I love you. Thank you for a wonderful 8 years. It's been such a ride, but one that I wouldn't replace for anything in this world. Thank you for being such a wonderful husband, an amazing father, a great son, and a loving friend to so many. You are so loved. Our marriage is by no mean perfect, but each day our love grows deeper. Thank you for putting up with me for this long. Here's to so many more amazing moments, memories, stories, trials, tribulations - and surviving it all with laughter and love. I love you more than words can say (even though I tried!). September 13, 2003 will always be the best day of my life and luckiest day without question. How we knew back then that this was meant to be is beyond me. But I am truly grateful for every single moment with you and know this is a love that was meant to last a lifetime.

Love,

Your Louisiana


post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How lucky am I to be married to you? Lord knows I do not deserve you. Ryan, Quinn, and I are so lucky to have you in our lives. Thank you for loving us so much and putting us first and all you do! Love - MISSISSIPPI